Sunday, April 26, 2009

Odd Victorian Factoid #12

Odd Victorian Factoid#12: Sultan Abd-ul-Aziz of the Ottoman Empire had 5500 courtiers, 600 horses, 200 carriages and a harem of 1500 women. All this while the empire was going broke. Did I mention the new palaces he also built? He was later "unpalaced" by a military coup and placed under house arrest. He committed suicide with a pair of nail scissors.

*I've been doing a series of these factoids on Facebook and Twitter, and just thought I'd add them to my blog, too. Here I can add a bit more info. So that's why I'm starting with #12. The first 11 are on Facebook or Twitter. All of this comes from research for my The Hunchback Assignments series...

Arthur Slade's Profile
Arthur Slade's Facebook profile
Create Your Badge

Cheers!
Art

No comments: